From September 2019 – Minor Changes to our School Uniform
The Lord Grey Academy are introducing two minor changes to the school uniform from September 2019. In order to bring a stronger sense of identity to our uniform, school blazers will now come with the Lord Grey emblem on the pocket. All new blazers sold by our two uniform suppliers will come with the logo already embroidered. There is no need to purchase a new blazer if your son or daughter’s current one still fits. The new blazers will be phased in over time.
In response to students views of our uniform, we are also introducing a new long sleeved jumper which can be worn as an option. We know that some students feel cold under their blazers in the winter so we hope that the option of a long sleeved jumper will help.
Uniform and Dress Policy
The school uniform at Lord Grey Academy is an important part of the ethos, and all students are encouraged to take pride in their appearance. The governors and staff believe that wearing of a distinctive school dress makes an important contribution to the tone and reputation of the school; gives students a sense of belonging, and stops students coming to school in clothes which is unsuitable for school.
The condition of student entry to classes is the wearing of full school uniform. Maisies Superstore and Kedaph Schoolwear Ltd are the main suppliers of the school uniform for Lord Grey Academy to maintain our agreed standard. Both suppliers offer the same choice of services e.g. purchase in store, online ordering.
Sixth Form students do not wear uniform, but appearance is important and are expected to wear appropriate clothes for school which is based on the concept of smart office wear. There is a compulsory Sixth Form dress code. We want our Sixth Form students to be treated as individuals and act independently but we also want a collective presence around the school site which younger students, staff and visitors can respect. The many visitors to the Sixth Form judge the students and institution partly on appearances. Looking more professional also translates into taking oneself seriously as a student.
Students will be expected to wear
The condition of student entry to classes is the wearing of full school uniform. We are a uniformed school and thus uniform is non negotiable. Students not in perfect uniform will be sent home at the gate.
- White shirt/blouse, with a formal collar and a top button that does up.
- Black tailored trousers. Trousers MUST be slightly loose and loose at the ankle.
*(No skinny fit trousers).
- NEW School Skirt – This is the only skirt which is permitted to be worn.
Please note: all students can choose to wear tailored black trousers if they prefer.
- Black V-neck House sleeveless jumper.
- Appropriate House school tie. Fully done up to cover top button of shirt/blouse and nestle in the collar.
- Sensible black shoes with dark laces. Footwear MUST be completely black all over.
- Skin tone or black tights (not footless), when wearing a skirt.
- Socks – white/dark or plain in colour.
- Green blazer.
- Dark/plain outdoor jacket/coat.
- Please note: students ARE NOT ALLOWED to wear hoodies/jackets (must be school uniform) around the school site.
* Definition of loose at the ankle – when the student is standing still and upright, the trouser fabric hangs naturally with at least 1.5cm gap between the trouser and the sock for the full circumference of the trouser leg. Thus there is room or space between the trouser and the sock, without having to stretch the fabric or pull at the seam.
Images showing the main school uniform
The New Lord Grey Academy Sports Kit is compulsory for Year 7 students commencing in September 2018. All sports kit to be purchased from our uniform supplier Maisies Superstore. Alternative items cannot be worn in place of these.
This kit is optional for students in Year 8-Year 11.
Sports Kit (Compulsory)
Sports Kit (Optional)
| Sports Kit (Compulsory)
Sports Kit (Optional)
| Left to right
YEAR 8 – YEAR 11 WEARING OLD DESIGN PE KIT
Students must remember NO ZIPPED HOODIES/TRACKSUIT TOPS OR LEGGINGS/JEGGINGS ALLOWED. It is expected that students will come prepared during bad weather and should bring more than one t-shirt for extra warmth.
- Shin pads/Gum shields as appropriate for football, rugby and hockey.*
- Training shoes/boots as appropriate for indoor and outdoor sports. Football boots will be required when playing football/rugby on the field.*
- Suitable sports trainers (non marking soles) are required for indoor lessons.*
- It is recommended that students have a plastic bag for dirty clothes.
- Showers are available, students are encouraged to bring a towel.
- All items of clothing should be clearly labelled and brought to all lessons.
- All jewellery must be removed on health and safety grounds.
- Staff cannot take responsibility for any valuables during PE lesson.
* These can be purchased from any supplier.
NOTE – If students are unable to take part in PE lessons due to illness or injury your PE kit is still required as you will be involved in the lesson as a coach or ‘teacher’. This will enable you to learn and progress without inhibiting your recovery.
SIXTH FORM DRESS CODE
Sixth Form Male Students will be expected to wear:
Sixth Form Female Students will be expected to wear:
|Many students have jobs outside school and often wear clothes which would fit this code.|
|Hair||Hairstyles should be presentable in style (no shorter than a number two cut) and
colour within the range of natural hair colour. Tramlines and patterns are notpermitted nor are tramlines through the eyebrow.
|Jewellery|| Jewellery must be kept to a minimum
Students failing to adhere to this policy will have the inappropriate jewellery confiscated.
|Clothing & Appearance||
Mobile devices need to be switched off and placed in the child’s school bag. They may not be used at any time during the school day. Headphones are also to be placed in their school bag. Any student seen using a mobile phone/device during the school day will have it confiscated.
The school will accept no responsibility for the loss of mobile phones and other electronic devices for personal use. They are brought into school at one’s own risk.
The Governing Body believes that having the correct school equipment can significantly enhance the quality of learning opportunities for your child. At Lord Grey Academy we believe that all students should arrive for learning with the correct equipment. We wish our students to be equipped to meet the highest possible standards, yet it is not possible for Lord Grey Academy to provide equipment for individual students beyond that of stationery and course materials. We do insist that all students carry the required equipment at all times. Our essential equipment list is non negotiable.
All students must have a school bag, carried daily, of at least the size to carry an A4 book/folder.
|Essential – Pencil case including